Friday, April 8, 2011

Random video game review: Crysis 2 Multiplayer first impressions

   There's no denying that game publisher companies EA and Activision are in serious competition with each other. Whether it is visible to the gamer's eyes or not, these two companies do whatever they can in their power to buy our small or medium to large game developers and try to control them to make a popular, but not always great game. Many of the campiagns that I have heard about  and have played at least part of (i.e. COD: Black Ops and MOH) have the same issue: short campaigns, heavy emphisis on multiplayer. While multiplayer gameplay is a great feature to have in a game (especially when it well-balanced and an overall fun experience), perhaps these two publishers take "too much" from each other to the point where any game that is advertised on ign.com or gamespot is just a combo of hundreds of other games out there. Crysis 2, developed by Crytec, published by EA (running on the Crytec 3 engine) is no different. In fact, the multplayer is just a more diluted and unbalanced bland version of COD, Halo, and Killzone's  mutiplayer, with maybe on or two twists.
   While it's really cool to have powerups such as extra armor, heat vision, and invisibility, this only works well in theory. The armor powerup, for me at least, has proven to be ineffective against enemies, and the invisibility always starts to wear off whenever I am close to an enemy. Perhaps this is because I am just not good at the game, but these are issue's that take away from my experience as a player.
   I guess I should mention that overall the hit detection is not very good, even with the sticky-aim, otherwise known as "Aim Assist" is on, and proving to be functional. Sometime's an enemy would take 50 shots from my gun to the head, but yet only 20 shots from their gun to my chest kill me write away, leaving him unharmed. Even COD isn't this bad, when it comes to hit detection. There is usually some form of lag in COD, but at least everything else is fairly balanced. I will say that the level design though is pretty good and interesting, and the game itself looks quite incredible on the Playstation 3.
   Even if you disagree with this semi-review, keep in  mind that I am not fantastic at the FPS genre, but I have at least some experience between COD, BC2, MOH, and a few others. This is just my opinion on the very little amount of gameplay time that I have spent on the multiplayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment