Monday, January 10, 2011

The Omnivore's Dilema: First Impressions

When I picked up this book to open it up, I know going in that this would discuss the agricultural problems of America. What I didn't know it would do was explain how certain parts of agricultural history apply and have contributed to the problems we have today in America, as well as how methods may have been better in earlier times. The first chapter of the book discusses one crop; corn. Michael Pollan (the author) discusses howmany of the things we use in our daily lives (sometimes nonfood products) came from corn at some point. Soda, beer, twinkies, and many other food products use high fructose corn syrup, which of course because the same has "corn" in it, came from corn. I'm not too sure where Mr. Pollan was getting at, but I'm starting to think that corn.  is not what we should continue to base our whole agriculture off of. I'm also not sure if cows are supposed to eat corn, knowing that they prefer to eat grass. This may not seem like such a significant issue, but I do know that processed foods are not healthy at all, and this is a problem because a lot of America's diet consists of processed foods (even if there are preservatives). But perhaps this is a more important issue of politicians to take a crack at, rather than allow them to debate whether evolution exists or not.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I did not realize how important corn really is and how many products really contain it. I am a little confused with what your book is implying about corn? I also agree with you that people are fooled by processed foods and do not realize how horrible they are for people.

    ReplyDelete