Sunday, February 13, 2011

Before I buy TDU 2

Now I have already played the first Test Drive Unlimited game on the PS2, which is actually not bad, but at the same time it doesn't live by the "unlimited" part of it's title. In fact it's the exact opposite. Of course the graphics would be dated for a PS2 game, but it most certainly can handle the full-sized map, just not all of the cool cars, secret island, and the glitch to drive on the runways at Honolulu's International airport. This had seemed to be more like TEST DRIVE LIMITED.
Anyway, I mentioned this because I, like many others, plan to get Test Drive Unlimited 2 for the PS3. Now even though the developers and publishers have done all that they could to avoid advertising for every version EXCEPT the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game, both of those versions, ironically enough are what is dragging the game's graphics down. Mostly the 360. Now, as much as I don't like to normally point fingers, the 360 has lived up to it's potential, but in terms of graphics, it has nowhere to explore, other than cleaner and smooth graphics rather than realism. The PC though will always be the one exploring the most with realism.
All things considered the size of the map is supposed to be over 2x the size of TDU1's map, and overall the car models will look pretty decent. It still looks a bit fake for everything else. The thing I'm concerned about is the balance between retarded AI, extremely and overly aggressive AI, and a nice challenge. As great of a game GT5 is, one of the things I never really mentioned much in my review was how the game uses "railroad" AI, meaning that they stick to generally one path. It's easy to pass them if you have a fast enough car, but the challenge for all of the Gran Turismo games was more the track than anything else. If you didn't master the track, then even the easy AI would be seemingly challenging. It's really you v. the track than anything else. I don't anticipate TDU2 being anything like this.
Now at the same time, I hope that TDU2 isn't like Midnight Club LA, where the AI was extremely tough, sometimes forgiving, and sometimes just plain stupid all at the same time. I cannot tell you how many time's I have played Midnight Club, and one of the AI drivers bumps into me, and then says something like, "Why the hell did you bump into me?" on the phone, or, "Are you blind mane?!" Yes, they do actually sometimes call the main character "mane" instead of "man." There was actually one time where I was racing against my fellow female AI driver, and the first race in the GP I spun her out, but then in the next race she spun me out and said "What the HELL are you doing?"
Overall, TDU2 could potentially be the best racing game of the year, or at least the best MOOR game of the year. Good looking or not-so-good looking I think that TDU2 will be the winner out of all of the racing games that I have played because of the challenge that was presented in the first game, as well as the feature of GOOD online racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment